1) Maybank Gold Visa - since 1996
2) Citibank Gold Visa - since 2004
3) Direct Access Gold MasterCard - since 2003
4) Ikea Friends/Alliance Visa Card - since 2003
In between, I remembered cancelling AMEX and StanChart Mastercard before. Let's take a look at some other facts before I come to a decision:
- I have my annual fee waived by Citibank (3 years), Direct Access (lifetime free!) and Alliance (5 years).
- My main savings and checking accounts are with Maybank
- I shop at least once a quarter at Ikea (yup, me house looks like an Ikea showroom)
- Most of my insurance direct debits are with Maybank Visa
- I am a frequent user of Maybank2u.com and CitibankOnline
- Direct Access gives me a free-for-life of annual fee, provided that I am still a member of a professional body
- To me, Maybank cards point redemption SUCKS! One just have to compare with the other cards gift points or just compare with Maybank card gift points of 5 years ago.
- Maybank cards give me the best interest free instalment payment schemes as compared to Citibank
- Maybank card gives me the highest credit line, but Citibank has recently matched that.
Why? Coz of nos. 1 and 7 above. So what if the credit line is high? One should not purchase things on credit and become a bankcrupt (as reported by BNM). Instalment payments? Hey, that's a big trap! Enticing it is, but leads to the financial dark side it does.... (sorry, Star Wars fever, hehe)
My Maybank card's annual fee will be due soon. I should hurry to change all the direct debits asap and redeem whatever miserable gift I can from their "Treats Points". From now on, Direct Access Mastercard shall be primarily used for direct debits, Ikea Visa for petrol and Ikea purchases and all others with the Citibank Visa.
There, down to 3 cards. Woohoo!
Belacan says... "Bye-bye Maybank Visa. It was good while it lasted but now you SUCK!"