Yes! I am going to learn to cook fantastic dishes for the family, like how my dad oooh'd and ahhh'd all the relatives many many years ago with his superb blend of cantonese and western dishes. So last night....
B: OK, since you always say I dunno how to cook, I will make us a nice dessert tonight.
Mrs B: Wahhhh, this for real or not?
B: You wait lar. (actually, I have not cooked this dish before! gulp!)
Mrs B: *smile smile grin grin - cannot say anything liao* (actually, I think she's controlling from bursting into ROTFLOL!)
And so begins the "maestro of kitchen disaster" in action....
- Heats up the pan
- Dumps in brown sugar - melt melt melt
- Dumps in some butter - sizzle sizzle and stick to caramelised sugar
- Dumps in sliced bananas - stir stir stir to mix
- Pours in suitable amount of wine (actually I didn't want to open a wine bottle so I used Boone's instead)
- Pours out onto one side of the dinner plate
- Dollop ice cream on the middle of plate
- Place the banana skin (with some banana left inside at the end) on top of ice-cream like an octopus
- Serve to Mrs B.
B: *kembang kembang*
But actually hor, I made several mistakes in this little banana dessert show-off experiment:
- I should have chopped the bananas first before heating up the sugar. The sugar caramelised too fast!
- I should have chopped about 2 bananas for one serving
- the sequence should be sugar+bananas+butter+wine. Why? Coz if you added the butter before the bananas, the the butter will clump all the sugar together before it could mix with the bananas.
- I should have scooped and frozen the ice-cream before serving to prevent them from melting too soon.
And where did I get the recipe from? From watching The Surreal Gourmet on Astro's Discovery Travels. So who says you don't learn from the idiot box? Muahahahahar!
Belacans says... "Now I know what to dish up for my Vakasi and Klang Crow gang members, muahahahahar!"